Summary: This tutorial mainly explains you how to put and play all 1080p/720p MKV videos on iPad Air by converting MKV to iPad Air MP4 videos.
Apple announced its new generation iPad on Tuesday (October 22), unveiling the iPad Air. The new version of the coveted iPad boasts a new aluminum unibody, measuring in at just 7.5 mm thin and weighing in at just one pound — thats 28% lighter and 20% thinner. These weight reductions, however, doesn’t effect the performance. Inside, it’s powered by Apple’s new A7 chip, helping it run apps faster and making it feel quicker overall; as well as a M7 coprocessor, bringing 64-bit desktop-class architecture to the tablet. It also boasts a high-definition Retina Display with 2048×1536 resolution and over 3.1 million pixels.
This retina display right in with more standard graphics and video playback. However, due to the format limitation, sometimes you will find you cannot play MKV files on iPad Air or missing audio when enjoying MKV movies on iPad Air. So how if you want to get these 1080p/720p MKV videos playable on your iPad Air? Get frustrated? Here you’ll find the best solution.
The reason you cannot get MKV videos working on iPad Air is simple: the default and downloaded IOS Video player on the iPad Air cannot find a suitable decoder for the codec in the MKV file. To solve these problems, a great method is to convert MKV to iPad Air compatible video formats along with some help from third-party tools.
To achieve your goal smoothly, here i will take the all-in-one Pavtube Video Converter as an example to show you how to encode MKV to MP4 for viewing on iPad Air. The equivalent Mac version is the iPad Air Video Converter Mac, which can convert MKV to iPad Air on Mac OS X (Mountain Lion and Mavericks 10.9). Below is a simple how based on Windows screenshots.
(Both are 20% off now at Pavtube Halloween Huge Discount)
How to Convert MKV to iPad Air supported video for playback
1. Download, install and launch the Video Converter for iPad Air. And then click “Add Video” or “Add from folder” to import your source materials in .mkv format. Besides MKV, you can also load FLV, AVI, WMV, VOB, TiVo, MPG, MOV, etc. files to the program. Batch conversion is supported so that you can add multiple files.
2. Click “Format” bar, you can get the optimized videos for iPad Air under iPad > iPad Air HD Video(*.mp4). The output videos could fit on your device perfectly. To get the preset, you should also install the Patch in advance, but now only windows version have the patch file.
To get 1080p video quality, just choose iPad>iPad Air Full HD Video(*.mp4).
P.S. If you like, you can click “Settings” to change the video encoder, resolution, frame rate, etc. as you wish.
The supported resolution of iPad Air goes up to 1080p, though video playback and most apps never break out of 720p. For watching videos on iPad Air, 720p with 1500~2500kbps is just all right. I found bitrate higher results in big file size, and lower visible quality loss, and vice versa.
3. In the end, go back to the main interface and click the “Convert” button to start converting MKV to iPad Air MP4 videos. Click “Open” to find the result MP4 videos after the conversion and transfer them to your device with ease.
After getting the converted movies files, you can transfer them to new iPad Air via iTunes. If you don’t know how to put and play video on new iPad Air , just follow the steps to realize it:
1) Make sure you have install iTunes. If not, you can free download iTunes here at first. And launch the iTunes.
2) Connect iPad Air to Mac/PC.
3) Choose “File – > Add File to Library…”
4) Drag the .mp4 file you want to the iPad Air icon
So there you have it. Prette simple. Now, you can enjoy and view 1080p/720p mkv movies on iPad Air anytime everywhere for great digital fun.
1. If your movie isn’t already in one of the iPad Air supported formats or it’s still on a DVD or a Blu-ray, you can get the Video Converter Ultimate (or the iMedia Converter Mac)which can help you rip Blu-ray/DVD, and convert various formats of 720p/1080p HD videos in MKV, AVI, TiVo, VOB, MPG, MTS, etc. to your iPad Air, iPad 3, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S, Apple TV and other IOS tablets/phones for smoothly playing.
2. Get more info at iPad 3 Column and Apple TV Column
See more video tips about iPad Air:
Rip/Stream Blu-ray movies to Apple iPad Air
Top IOS Device- iPad Air vs iPad 4 vs iPad 2: specs comparison
Convert MKV, AVI, Tivo, VOB, WMV, MPG, FLV to iPad Air
Put Blu-ray ISO image file to iPad Air on Mac
Get Sony 4K XAVC/XAVC S Files onto iPad Air